Recently, the City of Chicago revised its guidelines for groups meeting, and the Metropolitan Chicago Synod of the ELCA encouraged congregations to worship online, so Augustana has suspended its in-person worship. Virtual, recorded worship will continue to be available on the Augustana website on Sunday mornings.
As always, during these challenging times, contact Pastor Goede if you have any questions, suggestions or would like to visit.
The order of worship is below:
- Introit, O Come, O Come Emmanuel, #257 Evangelical Lutheran Worship (ELW)
- Lighting of the Advent Candle
- Confession and Forgiveness
- Prayer of the Day
- Hymn, Comfort Comfort Now My People, #256 ELW
- First Lesson, Isaiah 40:1-11
- Psalm: 85:1-2, 8-13
- Second Lesson, 2 Peter 3:8-15a
- Gospel Acclamation, Alleluia, ELW Setting I, Verse: Prepare the way of the Lord.* All flesh shall see the salvation of God.
- Gospel, Mark 1:1-8
- Hymn of the Day, On Jordan’s Bank the Baptist’s Cry, #249 ELW
- Nicene Creed
- Prayers of the People
- Eucharistic Prayer
- Lord’s Prayer
- Communion Meditation, Unexpected and Mysterious, #258 ELW
- Blessing and Dismissal
- Postlude, Chorale Prelude on “Freu Dich Sehr”
Thank you to this week’s lector, John Nielsen. Connor Freeman edited the video, Padraig McGuire served as cantor, Pastor Matthew Stuhlmuller presided, and Pastor Nancy Goede preached.
During this time of isolation and separation, it is especially important that we all receive (and read) our weekly emails from Augustana, to know what is going on, and to connect. If you are not receiving the emails, your email program may be putting them in a ‘promotions’ folder. If you are not receiving or can’t find them, contact the church office (firstname.lastname@example.org)
You can arrange an ongoing, electronic offering through our website by visiting our Donation page. Setting up a free PayPal account allows you to make an offering of any size with a debit or credit card; the email address you need is email@example.com. You can, of course, send a check to Augustana, 5500 S. Woodlawn Ave., Chicago, IL, 60637.
We encourage you to share the Peace of Christ with your neighbors by calling them, e-mailing them, or reaching out through Facebook.