Augustana Lutheran Church of Hyde Park and Lutheran Campus Ministry
Sunday, January 22, 2017
8:15 am Holy Communion
9:30 am Education Hour
10:45 am Holy Communion
12:00 pm Augustana Annual Meeting (with lunch)
Annual Congregational Meeting: January 22, Noon
Lunch will be provided by Campus Ministry.
If you would like to read the Expanding the Welcome statement we will be voting to approve at the meeting, you can see it here.
TUESDAYS, 7:30-9:30 If you are interested in singing with the choir, talk to Jerrad. (email@example.com)
Check Out a New Book!
If you’re searching for new books for your children to read this winter, check out our shelves of children’s books in the upstairs hallway. It’s accessible all the time, and we have many good-quality Christian books for preschool and elementary school children. There are also adult books on those shelves, including some especially good, easy tools if you would like to learn more about the Bible. Many of our youngest members already know that there’s a treasure trove of board books in the cabinet just outside the doors leading into worship, plus crayons and colored pencils and paper for drawing.
25th Anniversary Celebration of Augustana’s Reconciling in Christ designation
Sunday, January 29 at both services
You are invited to join your colleagues from South and South Suburban congregations for pizza and networking at a Public Church Popup Party, co-sponsored by the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago and Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Beverly. Dr. Richard Perry of LSTC will join us and Peace Camp co-director Linda Bond will share lessons from that interesting ministry. Thursday, January 19 at Bethlehem, 9401 S. Western. 6:30 – 8:30pm, free admission, RSVP if possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few Augustana folks will be going. If you need a ride down, meet at the church at 5:30 or talk to Pastor Goede.
Hyde Park Refugee Project Update
Our first family continues to settle in well. They have completed most of the administrative tasks required of them and are learning to navigate the neighborhood and the city. Members of the family are enrolled in English language classes and receiving one-on-one language tutoring and mentoring. They are highly motivated and are working hard!
The oldest daughter has begun school and we are in the process of enrolling the middle daughter in a half-day preschool program. They will receive ESL support and we anticipate rapid language acquisition through their immersive school experiences.
We are still awaiting an arrival date for the second family but the repairs on the second apartment are nearly complete. Many of you have donated furniture and other household items for the apartment or signed up to help on moving day — we’re grateful for your generosity.
There are still many ways to get involved!
• Donate shoes and clothing. The first family arrived with very little clothing. If you have items that your family has outgrown or no longer wears, sign up to donate them here.
• Donate furniture and other household items. A number of items are still needed for the second apartment. A detailed list can be found here.
• Help on moving day. If you might be able to help with the move (transporting the donated items to the apartment, unpacking boxes, assembling furniture, decorating and setting up the apartment), sign up here.
• Help with cell phone functionality. If you have expertise with cell phones and are available to help diagnose and solve a problem the family is having, please contact us. (We are having trouble with the audio component of Google Maps on the parents’ cell phones.)
• Become a mentor or tutor for our second family. If you’d like to learn more about becoming a mentor or tutor, let us know. We will send you information about both roles and will let you know about upcoming training sessions.
• Join our organizational team. If you’re interested in getting involved in administrative aspects of the Hyde Park Refugee Project, let us know! We have a number of immediate and long-term projects that we’re working on and we could use additional administrative support.
We look forward to working with you!
Augustana is a Reconciling in Christ congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are welcome.